Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Are You Desperately Looking For A Blog Topic? Ask My Grandpa.

Writing a blog is a great way to drive targeted traffic to your MLM business. Perhaps you're thinking, "But I can't write a decent post card message, how do I come up with a blog topic? I understand. Maybe my grandpa can help.

When I was a young lad I use to spend my summers with my grand parents. Grandpa was a dirt farmer and cattleman, and grandma maintained the house when she wasn't running the local elementary school from her secretary's desk. Both were old school, "take charge" kinds of folk. No nonsense, just find out what needs to be done and do it.

Grandpa oversaw the field hands for Spreckels Sugar Growers. On one occasion grandpa was talking to one of these field hands out in the middle of a field avenue and paying me no mind at all. That was fine … until the time came for me to find a place to go pee.

I Was Paralyzed With Panic!

I was a city kid. I had always been taught that going pee in private was important. I wasn't sure why, but I was five so I took it on faith. So you can understand why I asked grandpa in quite a panicked tone, "Grandpa, I gotta pee! What do I do?"

What do you suppose my "get'er done" grandpa told me? That's right, he said, "Well pick a spot for cryin' out loud. You got the whole valley! Quit botherin' me about it!"

"Oh … OK."

Suddenly a whole new universe of freedom was mine to explore! I picked a spot, took care of the problem, and nothing else was said about it. I was no longer bound by all those silly city kid rules. Now I could solve that problem all on my own any time I needed to.

The following event illustrates how seriously I took grandpa's liberating. advice.

The next day my mom came to the house and she and grandma took me with them into town for a bit of shopping. When the time came for me to solve my little problem I didn't bother anyone about it. I just picked a spot and took care of it right then and there ...

... right on Main Street Woodland.

Later that day, after being chewed out, grandpa noted that he didn't say I should do that in town. I learned an important lesson that day. Your audience will let you know what they expect of you.

What's That Got To Do With Picking A Blog Topic?

There are two facts in MLM:

2. Network marketing is a relationship business
2. Leaders are readers.

Leaders in the home business industry write about what they know, what sets them apart from the crowd. They use their blog to build relationships and draw leaders to them.

Some of the best posts are in story form. You are the one expert on what you know. That is your story and it's just bursting to get out to the world.

Getting your story out will put you in front of the people you are looking for who can relate to you. It will also help them see you as the leader they're looking for. After all, those are the only people you want in your business anyway.

It doesn't need to be perfect. In fact, that would drive many people away. Remember, home business seekers are looking for someone like them. Besides, you are invisible without exposure to lots of these awesome people.

So write your story, or even make one up. Then ask yourself how it relates to an MLM business. When you have that and you can tell it's relevant then let it go … trust me, the rest will take care of itself.

I appreciate you,

Bill Tessore

No comments: