Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tough Prospects - Using Mental Judo

If I were a student of Judo, then I would use my opponent's energy against itself, & so, give myself the advantage. Successful networkers use something I call mental Judo when working with a tough prospect.

Most people resist efforts to convince them of anything. This is because our subconscious mind is hardwired to protect us from any threat, even if we hate the thing we're defending, such as a job.

Here's an example.

Let's say I ask Sue, "Why do you stick with at that awful job?"

Even though Sue hates her job, she goes on the defense because I've attacked it. Plus she sees this as an attack on her. What went wrong?

I didn't think Judo. I introduced force against Sue's job. Human instinct compels us to meet force with force.

Sues subconscious saw my statement about Sues job (the force) as an attack on her, so it defended her (force against force).

A resistance-free way of presenting my MLM opportunity

Get Sue focused on how she feels about her job.

Here's how that would work.

I say, "Wow, what an awesome job you have Sue!"

Now Sue's subconscious mind, frustrated with that job, goes to work on this contradiction. Sue tells me all the things that bug her about her job.

The result ...

• I eliminated myself as a threat to Sues subconscious.
• Sue now sees her job as the enemy.
• Sue is much more open to looking at my opportunity.

Most people think tough prospects are hard to work with. Some of us understand the right approach can make talking to people about our business much less stressful. Anyone can become a master with a little practice.

I appreciate you,

Bill Tessore

No comments: